Sunday, January 17

How to Easily File Your UK Tax Return

Overcoming HMRC’s Self-Assessment System

As the tax deadline approaches, many citizens of the United Kingdom want to know how to file your UK tax return correctly the first time without mistakes.

Within this specialised report, we will share with you the details on how to successfully fill out your tax return and the applicable complexities.

The deadline to file your tax return is on January 31st and having it done on time and properly are of the highest importance. As an example, if you were to file late did you know that you could be penalised £100 at the very least? It is important to do the self-assessment unless if you are a person with straightforward tax details or if you pay your taxes directly through the PAYE program.

If you have more detailed financial records then you will have to fill out the self-assessment in one of two ways. You can file your tax return online at the official HMRC website or you can do it via paperwork.

We will discuss what you need to know and the requirements that may affect you when you continue reading below.

Filing Taxes Online

If you wish to file your tax self-assessment return online then you can use the official HMRC website and use their tool. It also provides plenty of detailed information that includes the rules, reasons for penalties, information about deadlines and more.

To use the self-assessment tool you will first need to be signed up for a Government Gateway Account. If you already have this account then you can use this HMRC service website.

However, if you do not yet have one you will need to enrol in a Government Gateway Account at the HMRC service website. You will then receive your Unique Taxpayer Reference ID through postal mail typically within ten business days along with a service activation number.

Once you receive this paperwork you will only have 28 days to register online before the numbers deactivate. If you don’t register on the self-assessment tool website within those 28 days then you will be required to request another Unique Taxpayer Reference Number once again.

When you have signed up you will find the HMRC self-assessment tool to be helpful. You will need all your financial records of income earned and expenditures throughout the previous year. You will also need your P60 as well as P11D forms.

Also, you will need to declare income earned through any rental property, income earned from investments or bank accounts, money earned through self-employment also. All you have to do is claim your overall financial records on the online HMRC self-assessment service website and you are done once you hit submit.

An accountant can help prepare your tax returns correctly and take the strain. Image credit: Blum Shapiro

Keep Good Records

We advise that you keep hold of all financial records that you have even after you have submitted your tax return. The HMRC may need to look at them later on if there are any errors or mistakes.

You may also need to request special forms for filing your taxes including things such as whether if you worked offshore or own a business as just a few of the examples.

Many people live abroad after a relocation to a popular country like the USA, Canada, Australia or even a move to New Zealand from the UK do not realise that their personal tax residency status changes. So it pays to get up to speed and understand what your correct tax position is before filing.

Sometimes it is easier to enlist the help of a processional to prepare and file your accounts for you. many offshore workers tend to ask seafarers tax accountants for help as the rules and regulations are complex. This can take the stress out of the process.

File Early to Avoid Penalties

Knowing how to file your UK tax return correctly on paper is pretty straightforward and should not be put off until the last minute. If you have already filed your previous year’s tax return via postal mail then expect the HMRC to send you the tax paperwork through postal mail.

If you have not but wish to file through paperwork, you can visit the official HMRC website and download the tax forms and any additional documents that may be needed. You can visit their website and download the paperwork as well as sign up for the self-assessment tool.

You can visit their website at

If you have filed your previous tax return online then you can expect to receive an email from the HRMC telling you it is time to file your return. If you have any questions that remain unanswered after reviewing the HMRC website you can use their free telephone helpline.

The support staff are friendly and helpful but expect to wait up to five minutes to connect with a live operator. You can contact them by calling: 0300-200-3310.

A typical self-assessment statement letter. Image credit: Alamy

It is imperative to file your tax return by January 31 of this year or you will face an automatic £100 fine. If you continue to be late you will be served a monthly £10 fee for every month you are behind in getting it done. Filing your tax return is important so visit the HMRC website to get started.

Blog Credits

The following websites were referenced in the creation of this article: